Saturday, September 25, 2010

Book #38 - The Last Summer (of You & Me) by Ann Brashares

I have long been a fan of Ann Brashares. I absolutely adored The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants novels and I'd been wanting to read some of her other works for a while. I read a blurb about The Last Summer (of You & Me) in one of the many magazines I receive each month, and I decided to place a hold through CPL.

I am always captivated by a good coming-of-age story, and that's exactly what this book is. It follows two sisters, Alice and Riley, and their very different friendships with their summer neighbor, Paul. The three have been spending the summer together on a fictional island near Manhattan for as long as they can remember. Paul and Riley have always been best friends; Paul and Alice have always wanted to be something more.

At times, I almost felt as if I was reading a Nicholas Spark book (and lord knows I love those, too). There was the perfect mix of love, longing and sadness in The Last Summer (of You & Me) to create a great novel. We watch as Alice and Paul transition into their new relationship, and can sympathize with Riley as she gets left behind. I don't have a sister, but this novel made me truly feel the bond between Riley and Alice, and it made me sad that I could never experience such a special relationship with one.

No comments:

Post a Comment