Saturday, October 16, 2010

Book #41 - Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

I have mixed feelings about Eat, Pray, Love. And I blame those on the millions of opinions I received about this novel before starting it. Who hated it, who loved it, who thought Gilbert was selfish, who thought she was brilliant... the list goes on and on.

So when I began reading, I tried to do so with an open mind. If anything, I didn't love or hate Liz; I was jealous of her experiences (not the life she was running away from). Honestly, how amazing would it be to travel the world for an entire year!

My favorite section of the book was definitely her time in Italy. Being able to travel aimlessly throughout such a beautiful country and eat whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted, sounds divine. But the part that I was most envious of was her immersion into the culture and ability to learn the language. I've always longed to be bilingual, and one day I will be, but Liz's ability to leave it all behind for a year and simply follow her heart made me wish I could be in her shoes.

I also enjoyed her spiritual journey throughout India and Bali. Since I've not had much exposure to eastern practices, it was hard for to understand what she was trying to accomplish. However, I could relate to her longing for greater relationship with God. It seems she met so many characters along the way - at times I wonder if this was truly non-fiction - and that she truly accomplished what she set out to do when she left her life in NYC for a year of self-discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment