Monday, November 9, 2009

Book #1 - The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum



I just finished the first book of the project, The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum, which falls into my recommended reading category. It was suggested to me by fiance, and I think it's the only book he's ever read recreationally in his adult life, so I decided if he enjoyed it, so could I.

This book was much better than the movie. Entirely different, but still so much better. In the novel, an assassin, Jason Bourne, loses his memory and is trying to figure out who he is. He's struggling with reconciling his own instincts about his past with what he's learned about himself from fragmented memories and outside sources. While I was reading, I decided that this could be one of the worst things that could happen to a person: losing your past and struggling through the present, all while being unsure if you can even have a future.

In the end of the novel, Jason uncovers the truth about himself (which took him until the third movie to do) and he's able to begin rebuilding his life. It made me realize that life is best experienced one moment and one day at a time. Even though Jason Bourne was unable to live his life any differently, it allowed him to rediscover who he was.

Although I'm not an amnesiac, or an assassin, I am similar to Jason Bourne. At twenty-four years old, and albeit safely within the confines of my own little world, I too am figuring out who I am with each day and each moment that passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment