Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Book #4 - The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening by L.J. Smith

So this fall, I began watching the new series, "The Vampire Diaries" on the CW. I love, love, love Twilight, so I figured vampires + teenage angst = masterpiece.

The show has been entertaining enough, so I decided to read the first book in The Vampire Diaries book series as part of my challenge. Poor L.J. Smith. Stephanie Meyer totally ripped off his idea. Granted there are some differences, but the basic premise is the same - a smoldering, attractive male vampire poses as a teenager at a high school, where the beautiful girl he can't resist, Elena, pursues him. Elena first thinks Stefan hates her because Stefan can't stand to be around her. Eventually they get together, he tells her his secret, and chaos ensues. Sound familiar?

The Awakening was much better written, and in my opinion is more age-appropriate for the young adult readers it's intended for than Twilight. Don't get me wrong - if it came down to Team Edward or Team Stefan, I'd still side with Cullen, for sure. The story was engaging, but I'm not dying to read the next installment, as I was with New Moon. But if you have a weekend, I would definitely recommend picking up this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment