Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Book #26 - The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling


I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan. If I was allowed to re-read books for this challenge, you could bet that those would be seven of my 100. I got this book for Christmas in 2008, and started reading but never finished. Just so you know, I got the Twilight Saga that Christmas, too. Now I think you know why I never finished.

In this collection of wizarding fairy tales, if you will, Rowling entangles as many Harry Potter characters as possible into this collection. Hermione Granger is the editor of the text; notes of Albus Dumbledore's are included with every story; but strangely enough, there are no references to Harry at all.

It's interesting to see how Rowling takes the lessons learned from traditional, muggle fairy tales, and transforms them into stories that are applicable to her famous wizarding world. At first I thought this was just another avenue for her to milk all that's left of Harry Potter's popularity. But I was wrong. Like every other work of Rowling's, The Tales of Beedle the Bard are all meticulously thought out and extremely well-developed. Hopefully she'll continue to find ways to keep the Harry Potter franchise alive and well, long after the last movie has been released to DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment